Re: OT: Windows 10 free upgrade

Paul,

In terms of what I'm aware of, I think "Anti-Beacon"
(possibly free ?), from the Spybot anti-spyware folks,
may have been the pioneer in this category.  There
seem to be a number of other contenders now.
I also recall various internet-published articles warning
that "taming" Win-10s worst proclivities would would
result in fatally compromising the OS, in one way or
another. But that could easily have been alarmist spin --
I don't know.  Since I have a spare box or two to
experiment with, and can clone HDDs against major
setbacks, I hope to put it to the test.  Supposedly,
this includes ways of escaping / controlling the
auto-updates you can't otherwise evade, unless you
have the Enterprise version.  (I am personally more
interested in the "LTSB" track that does not make any
major changes for a couple years.)

Good places to research this creative tampering would
likely include Wilders and InfoWorld.

Some time ago, our own Flash published a laundry list here
of things one needs to shut down in order to regain user
control.  That was taking a very piecemeal, Do It Yourself
approach. These automate-the-process-for-you programs
seem more appealing, provided that they work and are
essentially non-damaging to Win-10.
I'd certainly like to hear his current wisdom on the subject,
with the benefit of a couple years more experience behind it.

   Jordan