Re: XyWin question

To answer my own question (and Dave Garwood, you may be interested), in fact it's easy to print from Xywrite for Windows if you make a few adjustments.

1. in C:\otvdm, edit otvdm.ini and remove the comment (;) at the start of line 43, so that it reads:

EnumFontLimitation=1

This limits the number of fonts available to 16-bit programs, and avoids error messages when there are too many for the program to manage.

2. Edit XyWin's XWSTART.INI (you can use any text editor) and change the setting for UWF from 2 to 1. I don't have a manual, so I suppose UWF has something to do with Use Windows Fonts. A setting of 0 turns off screen fonts; I don't know what 1 and 2 mean. But I found a reference to this setting here:
http://www.holmgren.org/XySearch/mail/msg18749.html

Again, I don't know what these settings do.

3. Now, whether you can print or not depends on the Windows printer driver that you choose. Microsoft Print to PDF certainly works for creating a PDF; so does BullZip PDF Printer. I found that the HP Universal PCL5 driver won't print anything, and a PostScript driver that I use with my HP LaserJet only produces an error. But the standard PCL6 driver for my LaserJet prints perfectly.