Re: A XyWrite for Windows installer

Carl and others,

I have not generally used the spellers as my texts, being bilingual and having odd abbreviations, do not lend themselves easily to a meaningful scrutiny by them. So I have very little experience in this area, but I try to get a hold of this subject.

It seems that some of spellers I got from Paul are the same as in Carl's
package. Notably, the French one, which I got working in Signature just
by using the menus, and selecting it as the main spelling dictionary. I
looked into the file using a hex editor, and it does not have a
"Copyright (c) IBM Corp." line embedded into it as some of the others
like Suomi.dic (Finnish) have. So, the question is, is this the way to
tell apart PCLEX and Microlytics dictionaries?
Another thing, I do not seem to be able to select the suomi.dic just by using the menus. So, does some arcane procedure apply even in Signature, shouldn't I be able to use the PCLEX dictionaries as is? Or are they a later invention?

When I have been trying to figure this out, I found an old thread on SmartWords spellers. Frank Kenneth B. said in 1999 "We abandoned Lexam (IBM's spell checker) long ago. We went back to the MicroLytics spell checker." (http://www.holmgren.org/XySearch/mail/msg04531.html)

Further on, Robert Holmgren talks about a PCLEXAM.DLL: "I'm asking for
the DLL which enables these dictionaries, and which TTG distributed with
XyWin to some European users." (
http://www.holmgren.org/XySearch/mail/msg20980.html). I do not seem to
have a copy of it in my (US originated) XyWin installation. Does someone
have it, what is its real use?
As you can see, I am just poking around. Those in the know, please advise...

Best regards,

Kari Eveli
LEXITEC Book Publishing (Finland)
lexitec@xxxxxxxxxx

Edward Mendelson wrote:

Carl's ZIP has all of them except Russian, which Robert reported wouldn't work anyway.