Re: OT: re Acronis & Win-10

Hi Kari,

You should be able to avoid the issue you mentioned by using
an Acronis bootable CD (or maybe it's up to a DVD, these days
?).  That sets up a separate environment, much as with a
Linux live disk.  Windows itself is not running then.  You come
in from outside -- no locked files.  I wouldn't run any of these
programs from inside Windows.  If your rig in question is one
of the very latest that is seemingly being built with no optical
drive, on the -- in my view mistaken -- belief that these are
now obsolete, you can always temporarily attach an external
USB DVD drive.  I've collected various utility / diagnostic /
repair collections like Hiren's, or the regular Sergei Strelec
releases, which these days encourage you to use something like
'Rufus' to get them onto a bootable flashdrive.  The thing is,
I tend to _some_ machines that don't seem to want to boot up
from a stick, no matter what settings you set in the BIOS.
BUT, I find that pretty much every computer I ever run into
*will* boot a bootable CD or DVD.  So, not obsolete at all !

In regard to the project I referred to, that old rig was built by
a consultant who is long out of the picture.  Whatever XP install
disk he used is lost to history.  Over time, I must have collected
three or more *other* miscellaneous XP install disks, or ISOs of
them, from which they could be reconstituted . . . but these
things are not interchangeable.  Or are they ?  And I'd have to
look up how to go about doing an over-top-of "repair install" for
XP.

   Jordan