XyWrite under macOS Catalina

Some recent messages refer to the problem of running XyWrite under macOS Catalina (which cannot run vDosPlus).

I’ve thrown together a system that uses the DOSBox-X variant of DOSBox, and lets you run any DOS application in macOS. It offers these features:

If you print from the DOS application to LPT1 (and you print PCL, PostScript, or plain text), it will print to your default Mac printer.

If you print to LPT2, a menu will pop up and let you choose a Mac printer to print to.

If you print to LPT3, it will create a PDF (arbitrarily named with the current date/time) on your desktop. In the future, it will be able to create a PDF with the same name as the current file if you perform some steps that can be automated with a macro (save/get); but I haven’t done this yet.

It’s very experimental. I haven’t tested it with XyWrite, but I can’t see any reason why it won’t work. It also looks a lot better than Boxer.

If you’re running macOS Catalina and want to try it out - with the understanding that you won’t circulate this early version - please let me know at the email address that you’ll find at http://wpdos.org/voluntary.html