Re: Revised installer for XyWin

Karl,

Thank you for that report. I've now made some fixes in the logic of the installer, so maybe the problems you report won't occur with the latest version.

1. The installer (both the one that was available yesterday, like the one today) uses BOTH the autoexec.bat and PATH16 method. The installer creates or modifies the file c:\otvdm\c\autoexec.bat and creates or modifies the PATH16 variable. If it does either of these things, it should prompt the user before it opens XyWin the first time, and the prompt says that if XyWin can't find its speller, exit it and run it again. I don't think it should be necessary to log out or restart, but I could be wrong.

In the new version of the installer (posted today) I've fixed the logic that writes the autoexec.bat file; the earlier version left in path strings with two backslashes, which may have caused the problem.

2. Printing. The installer tries to test whether EnumFontLimitation = 1
is set in otvdm.ini, and, it it isn't, prompts you to do so. I know
XyWin locks up in many situations when that setting is not active in
otvdm.ini and you change printers. Could you let me know (1) whether
that setting is active (not REMmed out with a semi-colon) in your
otvdm.ini, and (2) exactly what you did that prompted the crash? I'm not
sure I will have any idea of how to fix it, but I'd like to see what's
happening.