Re: Revised installer for XyWin

Kari,

OTVDM can be anywhere. Just copy all the files in the current OTVDM folder to the folder where you want otvdm to be, and click on the "Install" shortcut. You'll need to reinstall my XyWin installer, but it will find the otvdm folder from the Registry.

My OtvdmInstaller creates the OTVDM folder in the root folder of the Windows system drive, but that's just for convenience.

As for Go to DOS in XyWin, your wish is my command. Download this ZIP file and place the two files in your otvdm folder:

www.columbia.edu/~em36/otvdmHelpers.zip

The "Command.com" file is an AutoIt wrapper for FileOpen.exe (really Wengier's start.exe) that launches cmd.exe if you run my command.com program with no parameters. You can use up to four parameters for the DOS/nz/v command, but if you simply Go to DOS, you'll get the cmd window.

If you want to run one of these internal command-line commands: dir, attrib, chcp, ver, or set, then I've written the command.com script so that you can simply enter those commands after DOS/nv/z on the Xy command line. I can add to that list easily, of course. This means you can use:

DOS/nv/z attrib *.* | more

and get the results you want.
If you want to run some other internal DOS command from the Xy command line, then you'll need to use:

DOS/nv/z cmd /k COMMANDNAME

Again, as I said, I can add other internal commands to the list that's already there.
I don't know how that compares to normal XyWrite.

Of course if you want to run Notepad.exe or any other non-DOS-style command, simply run
DOS/nv/z notepad.exe filename.txt

Wengier could presumably make a version of start.exe that opened a command window if you ran it with no parameters, and of course that would be a lot simpler and smaller than this complex workaround. But this will do in the meantime.