Re: Postscript printing to pdf in Windows

Paul,

I read your message too quickly. There's no need to use a XyWrite driver if you don't want to. Here's a way to use the PrintFilePrinter method to emulate what you've got in Xy.

First, when you say you are printing to a Windows GhostScript printer, what exactly do you mean? Does it use the RedMon driver or something else? Anway, there's no reason why my system should not work when a file named PDFTEMP.PS goes into the watched folder. Could you please click on the little printer icon that I put in the system tray, and click Information to make sure that the system is in fact watching E:\TEMP?

Then, experiment this way. Remove the PDFTEMP.PS file from the watched folder to your desktop. Exit and restart PrintFilePrinter. Check the icon to make sure that it is watching E:\TEMP. Then drag the PDFTEMP.PS file into E:\TEMP. It should print. If it doesn't, please send me the file.

Next, you can fairly easily set up a different Windows driver that does what you're doing right now but with with my system.

Create a new Printer; name it something like PostScript to File. I'll let you work out (with the help of the Internet - I'm not using Wiudows 7) the steps required to create the printer; it doesn't matter what printer driver and port get selected, because you're going to change those things after the printer is created.

Edit the properties of the printer, using the Advanced tab; select the
option to use a different driver; the one that seems to work best for me
is the Bullzip PDF Printer Driver (installed when you install the
invaluable BullZip PDF Printer; highly recommended; uses GhostScript).
Possibly any other straightforward PostScript driver should work. The
Microsoft PS driver doesn't work with XyWrite on my system; you'll need
something simpler like the BullZip Driver.
Then set the printer to output to a specific file, using the basic
technique here:
https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/2528405/how-to-print-to-file-without-user-intervention
Ignore the stuff about Generic/Text Only; what matters is creating a new port and naming it E:\TEMP\PDFTEMP.PS.
Now, with PrintFilePrinter running, print from XyWrite to the new
Windows printer that you've created. Just tested successfully here.