Re: Postscript printing to pdf in Windows

Dear Paul,

I imagine that something in your system is preventing my PrintFilePrinter from working, because I've done this:
Testing with a VMware 64-bit Windows 7 system, I installed otvdm, XyWin, and my PrintFilePrinter, and installed PDF-XChange viewer as my default PDF-opening application. When I printed from a XyWrite PCL driver to c:\temp\PDFTEMP.PCL, the resulting PDF file opened in PDF-XChange viewer, exactly as it was supposed to do.

Next, in order to test the PrintFilePrinter system with a Windows
printer driver, I downloaded and installed BullZip PDF Printer; then I
created a new Windows printer named "Print to File Printer", creating a
new port named C:\TEMP\PDFTEMP.PS and a random existing printer driver
that I chose from Windows' list. Then I changed the Printing Preferences
of this new printer by changing the printer driver to the BullZip
driver. And then I printed from XyWrite to the default Windows printer,
and the output file opened in PDF-XChange viewer, exactly as it was
supposed to do.
So, as far as I can tell, my PrintFilePrinter works exactly as designed under 64-bit Windows 7.

When I installed PrintFilePrinter, it displayed its dialog box only once, not three times. And when I uninstalled PrintFilePrinter from this Windows 7 setup, it showed only the standard dialog boxes: first, it asked whether I was sure that I wanted to remove it; then it displayed a progress bar; then it showed a box saying that I had completely removed it.

It does sound as if there are quite a few non-standard things in your
system that are getting in the way of what are entirely standard
procedures. If you have everything working, please do not waste any more
time on this. But I think I can assure you that the PrintFilePrinter
system works as designed on a system that's running in the ordinary way.
Thank you again for all your trouble over this. I made some needed fixes
in the course of it. And if the BullZip PDF Printer does exactly what
you want it to do, then you don't need my software at all.