Re: keyboard questions

Yes, Carl's and Robert's U2 does have a scan code revealer. It's called, of course, scan.

Hi Tom,

This seemed like a much more recent post at which to attach an update on my own keyboard experience.  Pursuant to recommendations from this list, I had purchased a few of the Unicomp keyboards, as the next best still-extant option for devotees of the long gone Northgate / Avant keyboards.  These were bought both for our office and for my own home use.  The Unicomp keyboards have a clearly different key feel, and their buckling spring tech is -- in my opinion -- no match for the ALPS switch tech of the Northgate and Avant.

Of these Unicomps, two have had to be returned to Unicomp for repair.  The problem was mainly of *no*-character returned by keystrokes on a couple keys (intermittent), or occasionally a "machine-gun" character response on another.  Of those two that were repaired, one of them has begun to exhibit the same problem.  Suggesting what ?  Well, I can guess.  May have to send that one back again, if they are still willing to deal with it.  And I'm anxiously watching the other one.   (Have to note that their customer service was pretty good, the first time around.  But I would rather have had a new replacement than service to the keyboard in question . . . . )

Over the last couple years, I had bid on a couple eBay auctions for used Avants, which closed in the $300 to $400 range (!), but was narrowly outbid at the last moment.  I had seen a number of these sell in that price range, although once in a rare while someone lucked out with a much more reasonable price.  Timing seemed to have a lot to do with it, because these auctions all closed very quickly.  I had kept the Avant on my eBay "Want | Email Alerts" list for quite some time.  Eventually, my patience paid off.  An unopened-box Avant came up for auction from some rather unlikely place, and on that one I succeeded.  Even better, I believe the final cost -- including shipping -- came in at just under $200.  Bought as a spare, it is the keyboard I am typing this on now.  I've put my Unicomps back in the closet for now.  I have worn out a couple of the original Northgates (which I've held onto, in the hopes that that repair guy previously mentioned here is still doing his thing, and might be able to resuscitate them), but I've never had any sort of problem with an Avant !  They were truly "Stellar."

In more direct response to your post, there used to be utilities for testing and reporting key scan codes.  I could probably dredge up a couple, but have no idea if they would still work with latter day Windows.  (Or perhaps the Jumbo U2 had some function for doing this ?)  If you could find one that does work, I'd suggest using it to first ascertain what those SF key scan codes happen to be, as that is the first step in trying to find out whether there can be some applicability to Xy kbd assignments.  If there are no scan codes reported, or they duplicate some existing ones, that may in effect be an answer in the negative.

   Jordan