Re: going to L

In principle, you have to use Mill's Method of Difference: vary one factor at a time until you isolate one that the effect tracks.

E.g., what if you don't load that kbd file (XyWrite will function w/o any kbd file loaded)? What happens with a blank startup.int?
Are the characters in pre-existing files showing up with the wrong capitalization when you open them? What if you change the codepage?

This is assuming you've already tried the mega-solution: re-boot.