Re: OT: Whine

Carl,

My HP Z400 is from 2009, and still working perfectly. I bought it second-hand back in 2013. I had to buy a second NVIDIA Quadro FX 1800 display adapter to support my third monitor, and that unit produced a whining sound when bought (second-hand). The culprit was dust accumulated in the fan unit. Regular vacuuming is the solution for a quiet computer. Beware of static charges, though. Compressed air is the solution for more intricate work.
Best regards,

Kari Eveli
LEXITEC Book Publishing (Finland)
lexitec@xxxxxxxxxx

I am getting a bit skittish as my PC is now just over 6 years old. I'm
hypersensitive to any indication that it may need to be replaced. Not that I'm
opposed to an upgrade, but it seems like yesterday that it was new and I was
posting to the list about how best to run XyWrite in a virtual machine under
64-bit Windows -- in the dark days before vDosPlus. But the machine before
this one, a Dell running Windows XP, lasted 10 years, and I have no complaints
about the current HP box, so ... fingers crossed.