French accents

Aloha everyone,

Perhaps one of the experts here might be able to save me a lot
of time.

I've been writing a novel in French (with a US keyboard) and
doing the accents is making this a frustrating experience on
stock XY4. I'm using the supplied method of Insert menu -
Accent - (select accent). For one thing the selection is
incomplete (no cédille), but overwhelmingly, it's just so
slow.

I would think there is some sort of startup code I could add
to make this work, probably something that already exists.

If someone could point me in the right direction I'd be very
appreciative.

Mahalo in advance,

--
Bob Newell