"access denied" problem

I have a simple file that I use a lot, which has a simple name of four letters and no extension. Recently, after a crash, I tried to save an autosav.tmp file onto this filename. That didn't work. I forget what the message was, but it was probably 'access denied'.

If I try to save this file in XyWrite, I now invariably get 'access denied'.

I have rebooted several times.
I have run a file unlocking utility called EMCO UnlockIt, and it reports that my file is not locked by any process it can discover.
I have checked the permissions, which seem to be OK? (not that I am
any sort of expert on those Win 10 permissions panels)
In spite of this, baffingly, I can save the file to another name with
no problem. I can then go to DOS and say copy newfile oldfile, and
that will work perfectly fine. It is only when I try to save from
XyWrite that I get this baffling access denied message.

Any suggestions?

Many thanks.