My access denied problem is worse than I thought

This is on Windows 10. I think I know how it happened. I was trying to copy a vast parent directory containing all my files in multiple directories, over to the Mac M1. The copy would abort with messages about permissions, etc. etc. So from the Mac end, I (how could I have done something so stupid?) invoked some sort of command to enable all possible permissions. Apparently, this did not work out as intended.
Today I am noticing that ALL the files in my key directory '07' have
the read-only attribute set. But not only that, I'm finding that the
'attrib ABCD,0' command is no longer enabling me to save them from
within XyWrite.

My solution seems to have been to run from the windows command prompt
attrib -r *.*
and to quit and restart XyWrite. That seems to have been necessary. If I didn't, XyWrite (in vDosXy) could not seem to recognize that the attributes had changed.