Re: XyWrite installation and update files?

Reply to note from Edward Mendelson <em36@xxxxxxxxxxxx> Wed, 5 Jan 2022
18:20:51 -0500

Edward,

> When I run that setup under DOSBox-X, I get unusable colors and
> the setup seems to be customized.

It's been a few years since I've looked at this ... but, you're right, it
is a customized setup that was meant to be run as-is with the bundled
vDosPlus.

My recall is hazy, but I believe that, after a certain version (and it
may have been 4.014, but I don't know that), the updates to XyWrite 4
consisted mainly or solely of a revised EDITOR.EXE, with no installation
disk(ette)s provided. Don't quote me on this; I may well be wrong. But if
I'm anything close to right, then simply swapping v4.018 of EDITOR.EXE --
along with a few Help/Menu files from my XY4C package -- into a v4.014
(or later) setup created from installation disks may be the functional
equivalent of a freshly installed v4.018, or the closest we'll ever get
to it. I harp on this only because the bugs fixed in the releases after
4.014, up to and including v4.018 -- though I don't remember what they
were -- were important (and annoying) enough to make v4.018 a significant
update. Fact is, v4.018 is *the* definitive XyWrite 4 for DOS.

--
Carl Distefano
cld@xxxxxxxxxx