Re: Xy4U2 portable setup

Reply to note from Edward Mendelson <em36@xxxxxxxxxxxx> Sat, 29 Jan
2022 18:56:53 -0500

Edward,

> Can the three PRN and PR4 files go into the PRINTER folder instead
> of the top-level folder? In my experiments, this path requires in
> SETTINGS.DFL paths like these:
>
> PRINTER\STANDARD.PRN

That can work -- provided that {main_directory}\PRINTER is added to the
DOS path. Otherwise, as you say, if the user changes the default
directory, Editor will not be able to find the printer files.

I included the three printer files in the topmost directory because a
XyWrite setup without any printer files in the main program directory
looks oddly incomplete to me -- especially if printer files are listed
in the PP: table in SETTINGS.DFL (which is usual). It has the added
advantage that the user only has to add a single directory to the DOS
path -- the one that contains Editor.exe -- in order to get started.
But maybe these considerations don't apply in your case; you can do
what you like if the DOS path (... B:\Xy4U2;B:\Xy4U2\PRINTER; ...) is
hard-coded in your app.

--
Carl Distefano
cld@xxxxxxxxxx