vdosplus keyboard anomaly

Lately in the course of working in xy3, I've performed unknown editing keystrokes which suddenly render the keyboard inoperative in both vdosplus and Windows -- either keystrokes don't work, or they perform unexpected actions, bringing up Windows dialogues and menus.  Ending vdos in the task manager does not bring the keyboard back.  All I can do is shutdown and restart.

It happens so suddenly I have no idea what I just did.  I'm also using a highly customized keyboard file.  Anyone else seen this?  Or suggestions for restoring the keyboard without a shut down?