Re: vDosPlus XyWrite 4 Service Pack and vDosPlus XyWrite Update (for all XyWrite products)

Reply to note from Edward Mendelson <em36@xxxxxxxxxxxx> Thu, 5 Jan 2023 10:38:41 -0500

Edward,

> I followed your instructions to the letter, downloading and
> copying files exactly as directed, and entered this command
>
> xycp 850
>
> followed by F11 and got the message:
>
> Application error .......
>
> My startup.int is here:

Your STARTUP.INT looks unremarkable, and I can't reproduce the error here. As a threshold question,
can you launch *any* U2 routine? For example, what happens when you issue
TEST-INSTALL<Helpkey>? It should report "release 2022-12-17". If that works, what
happens when you command CASG 652<Helpkey>? If you're running Xy4 under vDosPlus, it should
report "XyOS=VDP". If not, please let me know.

For another check, a directory listing of XYWWWEB.U2 in C:\XY4 should look like the following with
respect to the *file-modified date and time*:

XYWWWEB   U2      1095855    12-17-2022  11:59pm

The *byte count*, however, should be different -- larger. This is because, if XYWWWEB.U2 was
successfully loaded, EDITOR.EXE will have appended a (non-displaying) index of routine names at the
end of the file. (For comparison, my loaded XYWWWEB.U2 shows a size of 1114751 bytes.)

Also, just to be sure, can you please quote your Helpkey keyboard assignment?

If the above doesn't reveal the source of the error, please let me know and I'll delve further. That
"vDosPlus only" error message, by the way, indicates a bug in U2 -- I experience it, too
-- but it is, I believe, benign. The Windows dialog requesting permission to run certain U2EXTRAS
executables is a fact of life in the Windows world. I'll add an advisory about it to the
documentation, and will try to come up with a workaround. (For some reason, I don't encounter these
dialogs myself -- maybe because I'm the author of the programs that trigger the warning? In any
case, the documentation must address it for the benefit of non-me users. Thanks for pointing it
out.)

--
Carl Distefano
cld@xxxxxxxxxx