Some U2 questions

Probably I've done everything wrong, though I've tried to follow the instructions to the letter. So it may be that these questions won't apply o other people's systems.

I've begun to explore U2 in depth, and am deeply impressed. A few oddities:

I've tried to enter

HELP XYCP

but that produced a "q" in the document.

Some commands produce odd effects if a document isn't open. For example

SBF

on the command line causes the command to change to SBFQ
Other commands cause a "q" to be entered into a document. Can commands that work only on a file with text in it be modified to refuse to run when they won't do anything?
And I can't figure out how to make XYCP do anything except produce an
"Application error" message.

Many thanks for any enlightenment!