U2 success (except XYCP)

Carl, you were right. I created an entirely new system by running the 5.03 setup program, and then copied the U2 files into it and added the two relevant lines to startup.int. So U2 is working. I can't guess what was wrong with my earlier attempts.
But I can't get XYCP to run. It continues to give "Application error".
Is it possible that Windows Defender is blocking one of your programs
from running? Could you give some idea of what happens when I type XYCP
437 and press F11? I have a Windows Defender exception set up for
C:\XY4, but that doesn't help.

Many thanks for suggestions.
Again, this is a completely clean setup, created from an empty directory, with the vDoPlus503_SP_setup.exe to install CP 850. All I've done is copy the U2 and U2EXTRAS files to the correct locations and added the commands to load and initialize U2.