Re: A self-contained Xy4-vDosPlus system (with printing etc.)

Reply to note from Edward Mendelson <em36@xxxxxxxxxxxx> Fri, 13 Jan 2023 12:54:47 -0500

This is a handy way to put XyWrite 4 in your pocket, so to speak.

> If you make ANY changes at all in the downloaded setup, it
> probably will stop working. So if you're interested in trying it
> out, please try it as it is before changing it.

I would add: Once you try it as is and are satisfied that it works, feel free to swap in your usual
customization files (.KBD, .SPL, .SGT, etc.) -- but see below regarding SETTINGS.DFL. If you don't
usually load the menus, just comment out the lines in STARTUP.INT that load XY4.MNU, XY4.DLG and
XY4.HLP (insert ";*;" [without quotes] at the beginning of the lines in question). The
default STARTUP.INT is designed to maintain the portability of the setup, so be careful not to
disturb those portions of the file marked with "do not edit".

You can also edit SETTINGS.DFL to suit your preferences, but pay close attention to the PP: table
near the bottom of the file. To maintain portability, remove any hard-coded paths in the printer
filenames and keep only the bare filenames; copy printer files to the portable \XY4 subdirectory if
they are not already present there. To print to PDF using PDFPRINT.PM, line 3 in the PP: table
should not be changed. (Of course, you can always print to PDF in vDosPlus by loading a XyWrite
Postscript printer file, such as GHOST437.PRN or GHOST850.PRN. I will suggest to Edward that this
option be added to the default setup in a subsequent release.)

--
Carl Distefano
cld@xxxxxxxxxx