New versions of Xy4 for Mac

Thanks, again, to Carl, who did all the heavy lifting (I did the typing, not the heavy lifting), here are new versions of the two systems I’ve  put together that run XyWrite 4 on the Mac. Printing seems to work, and clipboard exchange with macOS seems to work, though with some issues noted below.

1. A vDosPlus-based system running in a Wineskin wrapper:

This cannot be notarized, so before you run it, open a terminal, enter this command, followed by a space (the space is crucial):

/usr/bin/xattr -rc

And drag the app into the terminal window, and then press Return. Ignore error messages about drive letters ending with two colons.

Press Ctl-Opt-c to copy selected text to the macOS clipboard. Press Ctrl-Opt-v to paste selected text to the macOS clipboard. I only tested French accents, but I hope that most European characters will copy/paste correctly.

This system is self-contained, with the Xy4 folder deep inside the app, so you merely need to overwrite an existing copy (or move your existing copy somewhere else for storage).

2. A DOSBox-X-based system:

This is notarized and should run with no difficulty.

Press Ctl-Opt-c to copy selected text to the macOS clipboard. Press Ctrl-Opt-v to paste selected text to the macOS clipboard. I only tested French accents, but I hope that most European characters will copy/paste correctly.

ABSOLUTELY CRUCIAL POINT: If you already have a DOSBox-X Xy4 setup on your Mac, you ABSOLUTELY MUST do the following. In your home (user) folder, find the DOSBoxDisk folder. Rename or move the XY4 folder from that DOSBoxDisk folder. The first time you run the new version, it will create a new XY4 folder, complete with the new files that are REQUIRED for clipboard exchange to work. You may then copy into this new folder any files that you want to retain from your old XY4 folder that you moved or renamed, but do NOT replace the new XY4.KDB file. Please do not report any copy/paste problems until you are certain that you are using the new XY4.KBD file, which has the string “emendelson” in the Ctrl+Alt section.

Because DOSBox-X (in this system) is a native macOS application, it can use the built-in system (printing to LPT4) for fast exchange with the macOS clipboard, but I noticed that a right-pointing arrow gets pasted into macOS applications at the end of the copied text. To get rid of this, without asking Wengier Wu to rewrite DOSBox-X, would require using a similar system to the one I devised for the vDosPlus-based system, complete with newly-written shell scripts, and I’m not sure it’s worth the effort if the vDosPlus-based system gets the job done. Please let me know any opinions.

Again, Carl can do wonders with XyWrite programming, and these systems could never have existed without his generosity and patience.