Re: Two systems for running Xy4 under macOS

I've been making considerable progress with XY4vDosMac. It's a great thing to have.

The new Mac clipboard transfer works beautifully. No more eighth-notes or right arrows. Hallelujah!

Some smaller things:

The new XY4.KBD file changes the functions of function keys I'm habituated to over decades, including cut-and-paste inside XY4, so I'd prefer to restore my old assignments unless that will create problems.

I'm used to using CTRL-T to call the thesaurus, but I can just move  TYPESPEC to the unassigned CTRL+ALT = 20

I'd also like to change the text size (larger) and make the text white on the (current) blue rather than gray on blue.  Are there values to plug into Config.txt  to get 14-point white text?

And a larger question: What's the path to the B: drive on XY4vDosMac? For some reason, Mac's Finder doesn't show a folder in any logical place, and it won't find  any of the unique files (like CHANB4N.PDF).

I was unable to make A: (my old XY) the working directory by changing B: to A: in autoexec.txt.  (If I do that it can't find STARTUP.INT).

Adding cd\a: at the end of autoexec.txt  still leaves B: as the working directory; so does a command of cd a: once XY4 is running.

However, I can find all my XY files by using dir a: and CAll them with a:filename, so it's not a huge inconvenience as it stands now.

But I could simply just copy my entire old XY into B: if I could find it. And unless you think it's a bad idea,  I'd like to try my own much-customized keyboard file (with the new Mendelson clipboard key assignments) in XY4vDosMac.

I know these are probably beginner-level DOS tweaks; feels like it's almost there.

Thanks to Carl and to Ed Mendelson for keeping us future-proof.

Jon Pareles

Jon,

In the vDosPlus-based system, use the options menu to assign drive A: to the folder you want. Start XyWrite and make sure that the command

DIR A:

lists the files you expect. Shut down XyWrite.

Start the program again, and use the Options menu to edit autoexec.txt. At the bottom of the file, change b: to a: wherever needed to start your own system

Clipboard exchange will absolutely NOT work unless you leave drive B: exactly as it is, and you copy either the entire XY4.KBD from B:\XY4 to your own system, or carefully copy the four lines in B:\XY4\XY4.KBD that have “emendelson� above them and are numbered 46 and 47 and paste them into the corresponding places in the keyboard file in your own A: setup.