install from IMG files

My hard disk of programs archives recently died⬦ it went from no problems six months ago to
won�t-even-turn last week.

I want to reinstall some of my DOS programs. I think I have the XyWrite IV floppies (I started in
1983 - - II or III), but others exist only as *.img versions of the discs.

Does anyone know how to install from multiple *.img files?
    Installations usually contain onscreen instructions like, �Insert disc #3�.
       How do you mimic inserting floppy disk #3 with disk3.img?

Thanks!
Myron (Gochnauer)
UNB

PS  Before I start searching through piles of old hard disks I thought I would ask:  Is there any
source for a downloadable, working version of Xy IV?  (4.16? 4.17?)  I migrated my installed and
updated copy for many years, but now it is entombed in that motionless hard disk. :-(