Fwd: Xy4/DOS quirk?

Reply to note from Peregrine@xxxxxxxx Sun, 4 Jun 2000 11:01:44 EDT

-> If I try to move forward or back one word at a time, using the
-> ALT key plus the left or right cursor, it works as it should
-> until I release the ALT key, whereupon an ASCII character is
-> inserted at the cursor position. (does it with ALT plus the up
-> or down cursor, too, for what it's worth, but I don't use that
-> combination).

This is not a Xy4 problem per se; it goes back to Xy's earliest
days. There's a hole in Xy's control of the keyboard that causes
some keystrokes (usually with Alt or Ctrl) to be processed by DOS
instead of the .KBD file. The hole was plugged with the
introduction of function NI (an abbreviation for "Not IBM-
sensitive", which gives you an idea of its vintage).

So: open your .KBD file and prepend func NI to any key that dumps a
stray character. For example, in TABLE=ALT,ALT+CAPS:

75=NI,PW
77=NI,NW
101=NI,PW
103=NI,NW

(The comma after NI can be omitted.)

My guess is that your Xy3 .KBD file had func NI's which weren't
carried over to Xy4. Or perhaps your OS or hardware changed. In
any case, there's an easy fix.

Carl Distefano
CLDistefano@xxxxxxxx
http://users.datarealm.com/xywwweb/