Re: Installation Chronicles, Chapter 3.

Michael Norman wrote:

> I am, here in chapter 3 of "The Installation
> Chronicles," without another idea.

Michael,

As I recall, in previous episodes you have reported that you tried to
install XyWrite starting with the last install disk, or something of
that sort, and, when that failed to work, you copied your installation
from a machine where it worked well to a Zip disk and then reinstalled
_that_ on your new machine. Assuming I am correct, I offer you the
following.

1. Remove all vestiges of these failed installations from your system.
Remove all the folders that XyWrite installs--i.e., the fonts folder,
the pictures folder, etc. etc.

2. Now, go back to your good installation and look at your startup.int
and settings.dfl, as well as your .kbd files and your .prn files. Make
sure there is nothing customized for your "main machine" that might be
throwing the new machine off kilter. Customized colors? Customized
defaults?

3. When you are convinced that the XyWrite defaults are correct, recopy
all of your XyWrite install back to the zip disk. The fonts folder, the
pictures folder. In short, make sure you have everything.

4. Now, go to your "alternate" machine and examine any config.sys and
autoexec.bat files you may have set up. If there are such, examine them
to see if Video drivers are installed. Back up those files, and then
comment out those lines. Especially comment out STB Vision. You don't
really need it for Win 98, and that is precisely what may be causing the
problems.

5. Now reinstall XyWrite, reboot the "alternate" computer, and see what
happens. If there are _still_ troubles, go back to the _other_ machine,
copy _its_ config.sys and autoexec.bat to your "alternate" computer,
reboot it yet again, and, again, see what happens.

Good luck.

--
Leslie Bialler
Columbia University Press