Re: This time a real clip bug: it crashes...

Patricia M. Godfrey wrote:
>The first did indeed cause CLIP to halt midway through with the "Illegal
>Operation...Kernel32.dll" message (Copying from Xy to Tbird). On the
>other hand, I was able to Clip and paste a file of 75445 bytes from Xy
>to Tbird with no problems, and that file was an amalgam of all the March
>posts so far; and in general, since the last update, I have not (knock
>wood!) experienced any problems with CLIP except when multi-byte or
>high-order characters are involved. So I'm inclined to think there's
>SOMETHING skew-whiff in that file. But WHAT I cannot imagine.

Remember, when I had Chunksz (in xywwweb.reg) set at 8192, any selection between 381 and 573 bytes
would crash. With any selection larger or smaller than that number CLIP would work. Therefore,
getting a crash with a selection of 435 bytes but not with 75,445 bytes is consistent with my
problem, assuming your Chunksz setting is at the default. With Chunksz set at 380, crashes only
occur with selections larger than 953 bytes.

Load a large file (say 4000 bytes) into Xy4. Select any text of a variety of lengths both within the
"forbidden" range above and outside it. See if you can define the range that causes
"Illegal" crashes. Your "forbidden" zones (if they exist) might be different
than mine.

Bob
4708 Montgomery Place
Beltsville, Maryland 20705