RE: Logon

You don't need "log.log". (Never heard of it, don't
where it comes from -- is it in the default
installation?) If you log on as "jim", all you need is
"jim.log".

It just occurred to me that the idea behind making the
LOGON command RUN the .LOG files like XPL programs must
have been that these .LOG files were supposed to be
vehicles for loading different configurations
for different users. In other words, instead of (or in
addition to) putting the usual LOAD commands in
STARTUP.INT, customized sets of these commands for
different individuals could be collected in .LOG files,
so that when a particular user logs on, his or her
customized settings are loaded. I never heard of the
LOGON command actually being used that way, but it
certainly would be a viable and convenient use for it,
even in a non-network setting. E.g., LOGON HIS and LOGON
HERS commands for households where more than one person
uses Xy. It would also be a way for individual users to
switch between different configurations, e.g. LOGON HTML
and LOGON NORMAL. You get the idea.

As for Rene's suggestion of just ignorning LOGON, it's
never worked for me either. I wonder, therefore, why it
works for him. Rene: when you command VA/NV NL, what
directory is specified? Is there a .LOG file in that
directory?

--
Carl Distefano
cld@xxxxxxxx