Re: DOS on modern equipment

Actually it is already there and I have been using it for several years
and extolling its merits on this list every so often, perhaps even too
often. The marveleous thing is a combo that runs like DOS, multitasks
DOS apps like Win 3.1 and sits on 32-bit or 64-bit operating systems for
compatibility with modern hardware. It is free, mature, and needs no
further development. For more information, google for "virtual pc 2007
xywrite" to get started.

Best regards,

Kari Eveli
LEXITEC Book Publishing (Finland)
lexitec@xxxxxxxx

*** Lexitec Online ***

14.3.2014 9:35, flash wrote:
On 13/3/14 9:58 PM, Jay Mcnally wrote:
>is it possible to find someone who could create a new operating >system that either is the same old DOS or is similar to DOS that Xy >was written for?
Possible, but probably not for free. Crowd funding might turn up enough other interested people to commission someone to write a DOS or DOS-similar environment to run on modern equipment. However, our requirements are so specific (a plethora of fonts and font-managers, full-screen/windowed-mode readability, printer drivers, USB porting, sharing/moving files across hardisk partitions running other OSs, etc. etc.), that it is unlikely we would find a source-code tweaker who has the patience to hear us out and tweak endlessly for each of our individual constellations.