Re: xywrite and postscript

** Reply to note from MCSWAIN@xxxxxxxx Thu, 08 May 1997 13:27:15 -0500 (CDT)

> My brief investigation of this led me to a web site, lasergo.com, which
> belongs to a SanDiego company; they have a software package called
> GoScript or GS32 for about $250.00 that will allow you to use any
> PostScript Type 1 font with HP laser printers under XYWRITE ver 4 DOS.
> James McSwain
> MCSWAIN@xxxxxxxx

Alladin GhostScript and GSView are free. GNU. I believe that the place to get
them is http://www.cs.wisc.edu/~ghost/. They work beautifully with XyWrite and
any printer. Annie makes a valid point: XyQuest should have stuck with word
processing, and left visual representation up to somebody else. Nobody howled
louder than I did, when graphic view was introduced along with the
button-pushing menu mentality that GUIs call a "user interface". But XyQuest
felt that they had to compete -- and in that era, they were defending a
reputation, not as a specialty WP, but as the very best WP in any category.

Robert Holmgren
holmgren@xxxxxxxx