Re: OT: setting default browser

Harry Binswanger wrote:

> Here's the procedure as explained on www.desktopnews.com :
>
> "Quit Netscape and: a.In a folder in the 'Netscape\Users' folder (default
> location is C:\Program Files), find and edit (e.g., using Notepad) the file
> named 'prefs.js' (remember to make a back-up copy first), by changing
> "true" to "false" in the line that reads
> 'user_pref("browser.wfe.ignore_def_check", true);'.

Interesting, but my point was really that the Win platform way of doing things is
really (almost always) an alien mindset to me. On my preferred platform, you can
set up file type associations, if you so wish, but the idea that the 2nd.
word-processor, the 2nd. spreadsheet or database program, the 2nd. or 3rd.
graphics program (assuming you had reason to install more than one, and well you
might), would nullify the ones that came before, and lay *exclusive* claim to
certain file types, often without asking your permission -- well, that's
outrageous and ridiculous ! I have an older version of Netscape, recent Mozilla,
and Opera installed. They all coexist. I can use any of them at will, and they
don't make any attempts to kill each other. What a concept !

Jordan