Faux Orbis

I have to sort through some 100 taped and transcribed interviews of between
50 and 100 pages each. Also a large number of scanned texts. I can do this
with Orbis in NBwin, but...
1. Has anyone tried to build an Orbis(NB)-like routine(s) within XyDos.
Certainly using the wider search routines in U2, one can search a number of
files, marking, cutting and pasting to another file along the way, and with
25 lines of text you certainly have enough context with each hit, but it is
not quite the same. No list of files (items) with the hits, no way, I
think, to mark and paste without having to switch to the open pasteboard
window, no index of words in files. Speed of course is one advantage that
offsets this, and, with our keyboard commands instead of a mouse the
cutting and pasting goes much faster. But I wondered about the experince of
others managing large amounts of data.
2. Anyone using a text retrieval program they like. I've looked at info
mgrs like Zoot (limited by a 32K per file size) ScholarAid (weak in
clipping and pasting) Concordance 7.0 (very powerful) and a few others.
3. Scanners with legal size beds and decent ocr software bundled? Any
recommendations.

Michael Norman
michael.norman@xxxxxxxx