hangnail

All:

I've been a Xywrite user probably longer than some people on this list have
been alive...and thought I knew the program pretty well. But about six
months ago a new quirk reared its head.

I currently run Xy4-Dos on an oldish W95 machine. For no apparent reason,
whenever I go to TYpe a file using either of my two parallel printers (an
HP officejet and an Apple postscript laserwriter) the scary error message
GENERAL FAILURE has started appearing on the command line. The thing is,
there's no apparent actual error, printing proceeds as normal and
everything continues to run without difficulty.

This is not life or death but it's certainly aggravating -- the Xywrite
equivalent of a hangnail. Any diagnosis from the Xy-physicians' guild?

Thanks
Bruce Shapiro