XyWrite installation and PD drives (and tangents)

I too was/am very interested in Robert Orndorff's observation that
installing Xy

>> works as long as there is a data CD in the CD-ROM drive

My lack of an earlier response shouldn't be misconstrued as a lack of
appreciation; I stored the message and fully intended taking RO's advice.
Wolfgang Bechstein

>would be interested in hearing from others whether this solution might be
>applicable in general.

A peculiarity of my system is that it has a PD drive, and PD drives have
two distinct identities and a drive letter for each: I have a PD-mounting
PD drive K: or a CD-mounting drive L:. Icon thingummies for both K: and L:
are always visible in Explore. Therefore, if Xy's installation system must
be satisfied that there's data in every logical drive, it's incompatible
with a PD drive.

DANGER: TANGENTS AHEAD. The PD drive has recently become a possible issue
in my amateur beta testing. If anyone else out there has a Win95 system
with a PD, I wonder if a freeware diagnostics utility called Eview
http://www.digipress.ch/msc/EView.htm--runs properly on that system.
(Please don't post it here.) Come to think of it, there are so many
removable disc formats these days, and I know next to nothing about most:
does any other kind of drive change its drive letter depending on what you
stick into it?
Peter Evans