Bug List

I am beginning to realize that in volunteering to compile a
list of bugs I have opened a can of worms (how's that for a
mixed metaphor?). E.g., the column table bug reported by JE does
not happen to me. That suggests that it depends on
hardware, if not on software, and that in turn implies that
without some information on both, it may not be possible to
resolve certain bugs.

I would therefore suggest that any report include some
information on hardware and possibly related software. You
might want to include something like the appended list of
equipment (I keep a copy in my email account so I can
splice it into any pertinent message). It would also be
desirable to mention such things as what memory manager you
are using if any, and whether you are using any U2 or other
Un files within XY such as Enhance or SmartSet. I have
added the pertinent information to my hardware file.

Finally, I suggest following the example of those who have
participated so far, and distinguishing bugs from
undesirable features. No reason why we shouldn't compile
both.

Computer     Gateway 4DX2-66V
CPU        486DX 66 mhz
RAM        16MB
HDD        420MB (two, one for backup)
Swap File     4MB; Disk & file access 32-bit
Cache       CPU 128KB; DOS disk Smartcache 2MB
CD-ROM      SONY 4x scsi
Modem       US Robotics Sportster 28.8 V.34 w\fax
Comm software   Crosstalk Communicator v. 2.10
Printer      HP Laserjet 4+
DOS        6.2
Windows      WFW 3.11 (used for XyWin 4.12 & Word Perfect 6.1)
Memory Mgmt.   QEMM 8, with 634KB free low RAM
Custom U2 file	 Enhance

--
Nathan Sivin
History and Sociology of Science