OT: System continuity w/ minimal compromises {was DOSEMU/DOSBOX question}

On Thu, 24 Jan 2008 10:50:51 -0800 (PST), J R FOX
wrote:

>I'm about to completely redo
>the tower system, replacing a P3-based lineup with a
>circa 2006 motherboard and dual-core AMD.

Raphael Tennenbaum replied:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16856110057&Tpk=p1-ah2

> very economically. quite powerful, quiet -- not
> much expandability but these days
> almost everything's on the motherboard anyway.

-rafe t.

(I went to reply to your post, but must have hit
Delete by mistake, because that message is gone. So
I'm giving this a new header.)

Thanks for the tip, Rafe, but most of the components
are already in hand. At this point, I mainly just
need to get a video card and a power supply.  I'll be
reusing a very good all-steel case that has housed
three prior iterations of the tower system already.

When it comes to QUIET, I'm afraid I've gotten spoiled
by the Shuttle XPC I've been using for the last few
years, with its heat-pipe design. That is quieter
than some laptops. To have anything quieter, I think
you'd need an all solid-state computer (no joke -- I
know someone who built one as an experiment: it has
flash drives instead of a hard drive), but even there
I think you still need some kind of a fan.

 Jordan