Running a BBS

Just as I was about to add my 2 cents, I see my name taken in vain.
Here goes:
 Re books for BBSing -- Bantam publishes "The Complete Electronic
Bulletin Board Starter Kit" by Charles Bowen and David Peyton. A must
if you know nothing; disks include an outdated version of RBBS-PC (a
$35 donation to Capital PC User Group is requested).  Then there is
"SYSLAW: The Sysop's Legal Manual" (about 1/2" thick, by two attorneys/
sysops - Jonathan Wallace and Rees Morrison).
 Re costs of running -- I'd like to expand further on Henry's $125 for
the software. Of course, you have an initial investment for BBS
software. But there are many hidden costs, from my experience.
Running a BBS finally forced me to admit using PKZip on a regular
enough basis to register it! Also, you've got your virus scanner
(SCAN, in my case). Then, you've got your various mail doors (Qmail
and ProDoor). Then there's utilities that run behind the screens
(THEDRAW, FileView, come to mind). Oh, and of course, programs like
Doorway that smooth remote access (in my case). And external protocols
(like DSZ).
  Then, if you run something like PC Board, there's the cost of all
the long distance calls to their BBS for upgrades to the latest wide
area beta version of the software, as well as a $70/annual fee to
access their BBS beyond the first year (which was a little steep for
me, so I forewent [new word?] the extension and also cut my long
distance bills!). But there are still the requisite long distance
calls for QMail and ProDoor updates.
  I forgot to mention the little utility programs that I use to
generate statistical bulletins. Also, if you run a file board, there's
always the cost of more, more, more hard disk space. And don't forget
the costs of telephone line installation (just one?). And your modem
could set you back about $500 (cheap these days) for 9600 (of course
you're going to run at least 9600!). And if you decide to go the
CD-ROM route, well, you've got the initial hardware investment plus the
updates to the CD-ROM disk.
  Vigilance is different depending on whether or not you have cats.
Assuming you do not, and assuming you run a public board, you must at
the very least check your BBS once a day for new users, idiot messages,
online status (is it up? and what's the problem now?), commercial
software uploads (intentional or un). If you run a private board, you
may not have to be quite so scrupulous re checking the message base for
bomb and virus attack threats.
  The good news? All sysops know a little something about everything
when it comes to running a BBS, and all are willing to share their
painfully (in some instances) gained expertise. BUT! Most callers
think that sysops are experts in EVERYTHING, so be prepared for
questions about things you never dreamed of, too.
  Did this help?