Re: Another question

On Mon, 24 Oct 1994, Michael O'Brien wrote:
> > I wrote you a note earlier about using a task-switcher. Just thought
> I'd mention how I use mine. It sounds like we have similar preferences
> or work styles.
> > I use Nota Bene, rather than Xy. Both are similar, of course, and
> really quick. Using Software Carousel, I typically load NB, Xtree Gold,
> a Comm program, and Yarn, an outliner like Grandview, and Squarenote (a
> textbase program), and Zy-Index. Switching from one to the other takes
> about a second, using extended memory. On a 385-25 Mhz. How much
> memory I have affects how many programs I can swap quickly. With less
> memory, and many programs loaded, some would have to be swapped to disk,
> which would take longer. I find Software Carousel or Back & Forth leave
> more memory for applications and are simpler and more robust than
> DeskView, FWIW. I gave up tweaking qemm, went back to vanilla dos for
> simplicity and stability (no Exception 13 errors).
> > BTW, I find XyWrite likes B&F and dislikes Software Carousel, while NB
> likes SC and dislikes B&F. Otherwise, they're similar in principle.
> B&F has more bells & whistles.

That's good to know. Everybody is urging the highest tech solution; I'm not yet
convinced that the benefits will outweigh the costs and the hassle. How do you
like ZyIndex, and how does it interact with XyWrite? Magellan is very nice, but
it exports files in pure ascii, and they need the line feeds removed to fit
nicely into Xy files...which is odd, considering that I'm *searching* Xy files.
XyWrite's own search function is too slow, and it doesn't enable me to preview
quickly before copying segments.

jb