Re: Another question

Jim Besser writes:

> I guess I'm leaning away from abandoning DOS. I, too, have highly >
customized XyWrite; for most functions, I would continue using it even > with
OS/2 or Windows. I currently use XyWrite, a dialer, a modem program > and Lotus
Magellan for finding and copying text; thecombination is very > fast, and I
would assume that the move from 16 mhz to 66 mhz would make > it significantly
faster. I'm not sure multitasking would provide much > more speed. Currently, I
shell out to Magellan in 3 seconds, after the > initial cache load; if I can
cut that down to a second or less, I'll be a > very happy camper.

Jim,

I wrote you a note earlier about using a task-switcher. Just thought
I'd mention how I use mine. It sounds like we have similar preferences or work
styles.

I use Nota Bene, rather than Xy. Both are similar, of course, and really
quick. Using Software Carousel, I typically load NB, Xtree Gold, a Comm
program, and Yarn, an outliner like Grandview, and Squarenote (a textbase
program), and Zy-Index. Switching from one to the other takes about a second,
using extended memory. On a 385-25 Mhz. How much memory I have affects how
many programs I can swap quickly. With less memory, and many programs loaded,
some would have to be swapped to disk, which would take longer. I find
Software Carousel or Back & Forth leave more memory for applications and are
simpler and more robust than
DeskView, FWIW. I gave up tweaking qemm, went back to vanilla dos for
simplicity and stability (no Exception 13 errors).

BTW, I find XyWrite likes B&F and dislikes Software Carousel, while NB likes SC
and dislikes B&F. Otherwise, they're similar in principle.
B&F has more bells & whistles.

> IN asking these questions, I've been surprised at how few XyWrite users
> seem to be using it for the same reasons I'm using it--raw speed and >
adaptability. I simply have no use for all the graphics, the fonts, the > fancy
functions; with macros/revised KBD tables, I've completely > elminated dialogue
boxes, which seem like great time wasters.

Me too.

Mike O'Brien
Lincoln, MA mto@xxxxxxxx