Re: DOS emulator

** Reply to message from "Martin J. Osborne"  on
Sun, 19 Jan 2003 13:35:34 -0500

> Regarding Robert Holmgren's remarks about not noticing the problem on
> his setup: I think hardware/software differences must cause differences
> in the magnitude of the problem.

I agree, "magnitude" being the key word. Despite looking closely, I could not
figure out what you were talking about until you described the behavior very
precisely. Then I saw it. It remains quite possible that there is some
environmental (not hardware) setting that accounts for these differences in
magnitude, something akin say to Idle detection (but not Idle detection
itself). Definitely, there is a problem with screen refreshes. The question
is whether it drives you to distraction or not. I think it's also fair to
state that it makes a big difference whether you work in full screen SVGA
sessions, or in desktop DOS boxes (windows); full screen I see no trace of this
behavior (Martin?). (BTW, which keys do you mean by "the dedicated cursor
keys"? And what happens that's negative if you remove NI? It makes sense that
if NI is designed to mask the keystroke from the operating system, then Tame
won't even see them.)

Bottom line is try before you buy, if possible.

Robert Holmgren
holmgren@xxxxxxxx