RE Avoiding Exploiter

Thanks, Emery, for the tip about Firebird, which I hadn't even heard of.
I was using Mozilla (after my Netscape connectoid got garbled--right
after the one time in my whole computing life that I actually went to
MicroSquelch's site, seeking a mouse driver; yeah, post hoc ergo propter
hoc is a fallacy, but with Redmond, I'd believe anything). Then Juno on
the new machine wouldn't recognize Mozilla, so I tried downloading the
latest Netscape, and it wouldn't acknowledge the existence of that
either.
	Jordan, that's exactly what I mean. Back in Win 3.1 days, I was trying
to install the disks I got from my then ISP (its was later sold to Cable
and Wireless, then to Prodigy, and is now owned by SBC Yahoo; talk about
selling people down the river). The system kept rebooting while reading
from the floppies. I was running Novel DOS 7 (successor to DR-DOS) under
Win, and after a long stretch on the phone with tech support (so-called),
I was told that their software "must be incompatible" with Novel DOS (of
which no one there had ever heard). Well, it shortly turned out that
there was a short (ouch; not intended) in the hard/floppy controller. One
of the traces had cracked, and it worked all right with DOS or Windows
reads. But the install routine was bypassing DOS and the BIOS and reading
directly from the hardware, and that was overstressing the failing
circuits. Once I got a new PC with a new controller, the thing installed
like clockwork. Incompatible, my foot.
Patricia