Re: threading

** Reply to message from Carl Distefano  on Sun, 25 Jun 2006
13:31:46 -0400

>> Why would I want to do that? To insert myself into a thread.
>> But if I don't need to know the next ID, only a single past
>> reference, it should be easy.

> That's what I'm banking on. What I'm doing (as of this morning) is
> grabbing the Message-ID of the message I'm replying to and putting
> it in an "In-Reply-To:" header in my reply. Judging from Robert's
> comments yesterday, that should be enough to enable the XySearch
> engine to position my reply correctly in threads view.

And so it seems.

I was describing the behavior of the engine behind XySearch's HTML-izing,
indexing, and threading of messages, which is MHonArc. MHonArc is probably the
most widely used open source program for that purpose (Nota Bene's archives are
also driven by MHonArc, although I must say, it's an awfully sloppy
implementation, sometimes months behind current messages, whereas XySearch is
updated daily and indexed three different ways: chronologically, threads
and handled by Namazu (tightly integrated with MHonArc). The point is, that
the principles of threading observed by MHonArc may not be universal, but they
probably comply with industry standards. Still, your mileage could vary at
other archives.

Robert Holmgren
holmgren@xxxxxxxx