Re: Xy4 - OS options

On 06/09/2011 12:50 PM, Raphael wrote:
I had to massage the system clipboard share batchfiles, and I still have to go through an extra step on my Gnome desktop to paste Xy-originated text, a minor inconvenience -- even though the text is in the clipboard, it won't paste into a Thunderbird composition window.
Rafe, have you tried using clipboard-daemon, sometimes called gnome-clipboard-daemon. It might solve the Tbird problem, and is certainly an easy fix. Just put it somewhere in your path (mine's in $HOME/bin, but it can be in /usr/share/bin) and add it to your startup programs. see http://members.chello.nl/~h.lai/gnome-clipboard-daemon/ for the binary.
A question, Paul -- are you having any issues with Unity? I'm not in a hurry to get to 11.04, but I am perfectly content with Gnome, to the point where if I do move forward I will probably install Gnome.
I have a few; one pertinent to this list is that a XyWrite launcher on the Dock that runs the command "dosemu xy" launches Xy4 just fine, BUT the Dock then tracks the running program with another, different icon. The loss of a standard menu of programs, for another example, is not acceptable in my book, and an odd choice for a distro that seems interested in attracting new users. And to irritate more experienced users, Ubuntu 11.04 is using some keyboard shortcuts that can't be changed through compiz, gconf, or dconf settings. I could go on. Frankly, not ready for primetime is how I'd describe Unity. Additionally, Compiz in U 11.04 is buggy, so I degraded Compiz to an earlier version per some online suggestions with good results and uninstalled Unity (a requirement of downgrading Compiz; so lately, I've had no more issues with Unity). Compiz caused similar problems in Mint 11, despite the absence of Unity, and so it also got downgraded in that Mint release. So, instead of Unity in U. 11.04, I've got Gnome 2 with Dockbarx, which I like a lot; it works very nicely, and doesn't have the forementioned Unity Dock issues. Dockbarx functions very much like the Win 7 taskbar; I gather that some positive features of the Unity Dock are now being reflected in Dockbarx's development too. All this raises an interesting issue, should Patricia or anyone be thinking of trying out Linux -- Gnome, KDE, and Unity, the most common graphical desktops found in Linux, are all undergoing transitions. KDE 4 is further along and more established; it might be fairer to say it has transitioned. In Ubuntu, Gnome 2 (formerly the main desktop manager) is being phased out and replaced with Unity (with the option of using Gnome 3 instead). These two desktop managers are works in progress, though they do have some interesting features (none of them pertinent to XyWrite). But, though Gnome 2 is no longer being developed, I think it's a better choice for now; it's the desktop manager in U. 10.04 -- one of the reasons I'd recommend installing Ubuntu LTS 10.04. I'd avoid the most current Ubuntu release (11.04), and probably the next one too. It's going to be hard to stay with Gnome 2 long-term; I might move to Gnome 3, and if that's the way you go Rafe, you might take a serious look at Mint, since that seems to be where they are headed. Other options I'll be looking at include XFCE (in Xubuntu; which I've used before), LXDE (in Lubuntu), or elementary (in elementaryOS, which like the others is derived from Ubuntu). I'm also watching PinguyOS. But, who knows, maybe Unity will be OK in a year or so. Mint Debian might be worth a look too. Mint adds the proprietary software Debian works to avoid, and the distro is updated on a rolling basis, so, in theory, things are always current. No sure how they are going to handle the Gnome 2 vs 3 thing; that will be a drastic update, if it happens. Occasionally Mint Update chokes on the rolling updates, requiring that I use "apt-get dist-upgrade" in terminal, but otherwise there are few significant issues or differences, none of them dealbreakers, and the distro seems pretty stable. And you avoid the need to install a new release.
And to amplify: many view Evolution as something of a bloated pig, since it's based on Outlook, I think. Thunderbird is leaner and meaner, and well-maintained.
I've read that Tbird might be replacing Evolution in Ubuntu's next release (11.10) -- I think that installing Tbird is the most common change that Ubuntu users make. One more note re Mint vs Ubuntu -- I've found an odd quirk relating to Firefox. The government's FAFSA site will complain about but accept Firefox running on Ubuntu, but rejects out of hand the same Firefox running on Mint, refusing to allow you to proceed. Beats me what the issue is, but this sort of thing could affect your choice of distro if you're choosing just one. Paul Lagasse