Re: denial of access

Reply to notes from Michael Norman  Fri, 06 Nov
1998 17:15:00 -0500

-> when I try to call up a file with something like
-> c:\xy\editor.exe(sp)letter.txt, Xy pops up in a Dos window in
-> the Daytimer directory with a directory listing and, on the
-> command line, I see "access denied." In other words, it does
-> not open the file in the command.

and Peter Evans  Sat, 07 Nov 1998 10:13:59
+0900

-> "access denied" doesn't mean that what you're trying to access
-> can't be found (e.g. because it's off the PATH). It means that
-> the OS is, usually for a good reason, denying you access--
-> typically (always?) because you're attempting to open with one
-> program a file that you already have open with another program.

Michael, what happens if, in the same Xy session, right after you
get the "Access denied", you manually issue a CAll command for the
same letter.txt file? Do you get the same error? Also, picking up
on Peter's comment, are you running any other programs that might be
locking the file? Does the error persist even if you close all
running programs except Daytimer? What happens if you link your
txt files to another editor? Does it make a difference if the
linked-to editor is a Windows program rather than DOS?

Carl Distefano
CLDistefano@xxxxxxxx
http://users.datarealm.com/xywwweb/