denial of access

In Windows 4.0 (aka Win95), and presumably also in Windows 4.1 or whatever
Win98 really is (I haven't used it), "access denied" doesn't mean that what
you're trying to access can't be found (e.g. because it's off the PATH).
It means that the OS is, usually for a good reason, denying you
access--typically (always?) because you're attempting to open with one
program a file that you already have open with another program.

For (Win95) example, I might be working on a file with TSE (a text editor),
and, hours later, forget that it's still open and decide to work on it with
XyWin. I'll get the message "Access denied".
Peter Evans