Color Question

Could you please tell me how/why it is that one can be using ver. 3.55 and ver.
4.015/6 on the same exact system, with the same exact numbers from the color
palette assigned to various screen attributes, and yet observe substantially
different results onscreen?

I'm going to guess that III+ is only able to address EGA or maybe VGA modes,
but that I'm seeing a default addressing of SVGA (without having deliberately
done anything to achieve this) under 4.015/6 . . . ?