Re: IS XW A DO

≪Just as some (most?) members are sick and tired of gratis comments
against Windows, Gates and MS, some of us are equally tired of rants that
characterize another OS as "failed," "unpopular" or from "the company
that nearly killed XY." Such viewpoints (both sides) seem awfully
denominational. Isn't it about time that both sides got back on point?≫

Gee. Where were you when all the attacks were coming from your camp? If
you don't like suddenly finding your own OS on the receiving end of
disparaging remarks, do something to curb the belittling of other OSes.
See how you feel after you've looked at the sig below on a few thousand
messages.

≪OS2 (and possibly Linux) users seem to represent a larger percentage of
this list's membership than is found overall.≫

.... Thus proving Leslie's point. One subscriber who posts to this list
uses linux, but mentions it so often it seems possible that linux users
represent a large percentage of users. (Orwell had a term for that
phenomenon.) Most subscribers to this list post rarely or never. You've
absolutely no idea what the majority OS is among subscribers--only what
OS is used by a few who harp on it and make it seem to be the majority
OS. Inevitably, I know what OS you use; can you say the same of mine?
Here's a hint: It was written by neither MS nor The Megacorp That Sized
Up the Computing Public and Gave Us the PCJr and Warp. If my OS demanded
a fraction of the attention Warp does, I'd dump it. ...

To clarify an editing error I made in a msg addressed to Leslie:

:	I'll agree totally with your Gresham's Law observation.
:	It's happened in comp.publish.prepress too, where persistent
:	braindead queries relating to one implementation of the language
:	have driven nearly all programmers out of the newsgroup intended
:	for discussion of the language.

Whoops. Not comp.publish.prepress. That was intended to be
comp.lang.postscript--coopted by Aladdin Ghostscript, which advises users
to post bug reports there. Rather than sound unpleasant (a/k/a "rant"),
programmers just abandoned the only forum for PostScript language issues.
There's a lesson to be learned there. 	--a

==== using a system uncontaminated by software from    adpFisher / nyc
The Megacorp That Came ThisClose to Killing xyWrite ====