Re: IS XW A DO

  >≪OS2 (and possibly Linux) users seem to represent a larger percentage
  >of this list's membership than is found overall.≫

  >... Thus proving Leslie's point. One subscriber who posts to this list
  >uses linux, but mentions it so often it seems possible that linux users
  >represent a large percentage of users.

  Like the Budweiser Frogs, but these critters say li-NUX li_NUX while
their partners reply OS/2 OS/2 . . . and onward goes the croaking, endlessly
backward. Where it ends, knows God.

  >(Orwell had a term for that
  >phenomenon.) Most subscribers to this list post rarely or never. You've
  >absolutely no idea what the majority OS is among subscribers--only what
  >OS is used by a few who harp on it and make it seem to be the majority
  >OS.

  Indeed. When only a few croak on while the majority, out of boredom,
indifference, or dispair, endure in silence, hoping to score a few scraps of
information among the croaks, it's impossible to know who uses what. (Like I
care, anyway.) Or think of it this way: it's true that an infinite number
of simeans at their infinite number of terminals with their infinite copies
of XyWrite would eventually turn out the complete works of Isaac Asimov (one
tires of the Immortal Bard at last), but it would take the would-be
retriever an infinite amount of time to find the robot stories, say, among
such gems as FRK-126. Indeed, the would-be retriever would soon tire of the
whole process and proceed to (oh okay) William Shakespeare's Bookstore and
purchase a copy of the Asimov. So what it all boils down to, my friends,
is, as I said at the beginning of this tread. Bad posts drive out the good.

--Leslie--
I got one hand in my pocket and the other's about to press delete

`[1;32;42mRainbow V 1.19.1 for Delphi - Registered