Re: Typing allergy

Carl Distefano wrote:

> Reply to note from ajx  Sun, 11 Jan 2004 08:26:26
> +0100

> > Because  doesn't work. It either gives the error "need
> > id & expression" or it copies the content of the saveget
> > holding the *code* into the text. It's 3.55 remember.

> 3.55 has nothing to do with it. I used 3.55 for many years and have
> tons of III+ XPL that uses  to copy DeFined material to
> Save/Get nn. It worked. I still have v3.55, and I just tried it
> now. BC  -- it still works. The DeFined block is
> copied from text to the CMline.

It's a mystery. I've got 3.55 (the 3.55 is there on the
startup screen, I don't even have to type 'Help' as Harry
sensibly suggested) and it doesn't work. I wish it did.

> "Need id & expression" indicates no DeFined block or an incomplete
> DeFine (one that hasn't been "closed" with a second press of the
> DeFine key). I did expressly say that a complete DeFine was
> required. You can get around that (allow an incomplete DeFine) with
> BC es 1XC DF BC esXC BC . I was trying to keep my
> example simple.
>
> I don't know what you mean by "copies the content of the saveget
> holding the *code* into the text". What Save/Get? What code? What
> text? BC  copies DeFined text to the CMline. If
> that's not what you're talking about, then we're speaking at cross-
> purposes.

In place of your BC , I use  GH  GT
XD.
It's placed in a saveget which has worked without a hitch
for years.

If I try  .. in place of , instead of getting the
text on the command line I get:  GH  GT XD
- the content of the saveget holding the code - in the text
area.

Seized by doubt, I tried it once again, and got the same
results. Both your version and mine.

I've always thought that computers aren't as digital and
exact as they're supposed to be.

> > Yesterday I moved over 30k from one file to another (unaware it
> > was that much). That overwrote resident variables - but the
> > move worked, and gave no error message.

> Sorry, but I don't understand any of that. How can moving something
> from one file to another overwrite variables (Save/Gets)? And what
> does this example have to do with copying material to the CMline, or
> even with your original observation that XPL code so copied will be
> executed (the PV side effect)? The thread is slipping away. But no
> matter; I've said my peace.

It was relative to the loss of memory due to using pv4
instead of pv04.
Having noticed that the size of the file-to-file copy buffer
varies with the amount of savegets and programs resident in
memory,
I use that as rule of thumb. In particular because 'out of
memory' and other errors come when one's moved/copied too
much.

John